Thursday, July 21, 2011

2,500 Laps: One Month Later

Since my last update re: my quest to swim 2,500 laps in 132 days, I've met Noah Coughlan (twice), graduated from the walking boot that put me in the pool in the first place and notched another 120 laps. And even though I now have my doctor's permission to do weight-bearing exercises, I'm going to finish what I started. I have till October 29 to swim the last 2,020 laps; considering all of the conflicts I have between now and then, including another surgery on my twice-broken nose that will sideline me for at least a week, it won't be easy. But Noah ran through thunderstorms and soaring temperatures; he ran from vicious dogs, through blisters and scrapes and a bout with food poisoning; he ran at all hours of the day and night to meet his mileage goals. So tonight, as he continues his long drive home to northern California, though a big part of me would rather curl up with a good book, I'll head to the pool. Because that's what Noah would do.

When you get a chance, please watch this video. It beautifully captures the spirit of the last two days of Noah's 132-day run. Keep an eye out for my little sister toward the end, standing in a group of kids with Noah on the beach that served as the finish line for one of the most inspiring and most physically demanding feats ever achieved by one person. Can't find Taylor? As usual, she's the one in pink. :) Watch the Video

No comments:

Post a Comment