Monday, June 20, 2011

2,500 Laps

When I pulled my Speedo on tonight, I noticed for the first time that the black material is so worn in places, it's nearly transparent. The only lap-swimming suit I've owned since the summer of '89 (the one year I swam on the neighborhood swim team), its threadbare straps practically begged to be retired. And since my Achilles injury has dragged on for nearly 10 weeks with no end in sight, I took one last look at my raggedy Speedo, sighed and headed to REI, where I purchased a suit that's much too nice for a non-swimmer like me. Then, I headed to the YMCA, where I squeezed in 60 laps for Taylor before the lifeguards kicked me out (which is becoming a trend, ever since I discovered that if I go to the Y after 8:30, I don't have to fight for a lane).

Today, Noah Coughlan reached Florida - the last of eight states stretching across the lower third of the United States of America on his amazing solo run for children with Batten disease. He's passed the 2,000-mile mark and will be near 2,500 when he reaches the Atlantic Ocean in Jacksonville on July 9. I'm a pretty good runner when I'm not broken - I finished in the top 20 percent (men and women) of a strong field in the 10-mile race I ran the week before I blew out my Achilles on the soccer field. But I would have to average 7 miles a day for an entire year - without taking a single day off - to cover the ground Noah will cover in a tad over four months. While I've talked to Noah several times, I haven't talked to his joints...and for all I know, they might hate him right now. Mine sure hate me. But Noah's still running in honor of my little sister and all of the other kids fighting Batten disease. I am in awe of his dedication.

I originally planned to run with Noah over the final two days of his journey - but that won't happen now, not unless I get a new leg in the next two weeks. My profile on Miles to a Miracle, the Taylor's Tale campaign inspired by Taylor's own 5K runs, states that I "run, walk and hike for miracles." I haven't done any of those things since mid-April. So be it. The fire still burns, and though I have a bum leg, I also have a swim cap, goggles and that shiny, new suit. So over the next 132 days - the duration of Noah's journey - I'll aim to swim 2,500 laps for my little sister. If you're able, please consider making a pledge in support of our Miles to a Miracle campaign. Even a penny a lap - just $25 if I achieve my goal - can go a long way toward supporting the search for a cure. I'll post an updated lap total here each week. Thank you in advance for your support!

Send an email to laura@taylorstale.com if you're interested in making a pledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment